Same-Day Porcelain Inlays And Onlays in Akron, OH
Scott came to us with a desire to correct his mis-shaped and discolored teeth. Dr. Eberhardt transformed his smile with the placement of Porcelain Veneers and Onlays on his upper teeth.
What Are Inlays and Onlays?Inlays and onlays are porcelain, gold, or composite resin dental restorations we use to repair large cavities and other forms of damage to the tooth’s biting surface. An inlay fills tooth cavities on the surfaces between the cusps. An onlay covers a larger surface than an inlay, including the cusps. Onlays work in a similar way as dental crowns, and they are of similar materials. However, unlike crowns, onlays don’t cover the entire tooth surface.
The Inlay and Onlay Application ProcedureWhen you come in for a dental inlay or onlay, we’ll complete the entire procedure within a single visit:
- We examine the tooth to determine whether you need an inlay or an onlay.
- We clean the tooth thoroughly and take a digital impression of it to generate a virtual model.
- Using special software and your tooth’s impression, we design an inlay or onlay to fit the cavity.
- Our in-office milling machine creates the piece with the correct shade to match your natural tooth.
- We fit the inlay or onlay to your tooth and cement it in place.
Benefits of Inlays and OnlaysInlays and onlays offer several benefits:
- Treatment that preserves as much of the tooth as possible
- Allows for an easy home dental care routine, including brushing and flossing
- Results that can last for up to thirty years or longer
- A relatively comfortable and non-invasive, conservative procedure