Dental Implants | Akron, OH Family and Cosmetic Dentist
Dental implant surgery is a highly effective treatment plan for tooth loss. If poor oral hygiene, periodontal disease, or injury resulted in missing teeth, our dental implant service might be the ideal solution to restore your smile.
At Eberhardt Dentistry, our dental team has extensive experience in all forms of maxillofacial surgery. To learn more about dental implant surgical procedures and dental success rates, contact us today.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are not artificial teeth, but they serve as the foundation for restorations, such as:
- Single-tooth replacement
- Implant-supported dentures
- Implant-supported partials
- Implant-supported bridges
- Implant-supported crowns
A metal implant is a small titanium or zirconia post we surgically insert into the jawbone through the gums. If your jaw bone is too thin or soft, our oral surgeon will talk to you about bone grafting, which involves rebuilding your jawbone using your own bone tissue.
After implant surgery, you have to wait for osseointegration, which is the natural healing process of the jaw bone surrounding the implant. Osseointegration can take anything from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the type and location of an implant.
Once your gum tissue and jaw bone have healed sufficiently around the implant, we’ll be able to install the abutment. This attachment supports the dental crown, denture, bridge, or other type of restoration. In some cases, it may be possible for us to install the implant and abutment simultaneously.
When Leslie joined our practice, she had aging restorations on her front teeth that she wanted replaced. Dr. Eberhardt was able to give her the beautiful smile she wanted with placing Dental
Implants and Porcelain Crowns. “Dr. Kyle does incredible work! His entire staff is on top of everything!” – Leslie L.
Benefits of Dental Implants
As replacement teeth, dental implants offer several advantages over removable dentures or fixed bridges:
- Long-term oral health benefits: Caring for dental implants is easy, and you can follow the same home dental care for your implants as your natural teeth. You’ll also no longer have missing tooth gaps, which can trap bacteria and cause gum disease.
- Permanent solution for tooth loss: Your new dental implants should last for the rest of your life, provided that you schedule a dental check-up once every six months and take care of them at home.
- Teeth that feel, function, and look natural: Dental implants fully restore your bite’s functionality. After the dental implant process, you’ll be able to eat all your favorite food, speak normally, and smile with confidence.
- Jaw bone preservation: Dental implants allow for normal chewing, which stimulates natural bone growth and prevents deterioration. The restorations also keep the surrounding teeth stable and prevent them from shifting. By preventing bone mass deterioration, your dental implants will prevent facial skin sagging and help you maintain a youthful appearance.
Are You a Viable Candidate for Dental Implants?
According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, you may be a candidate for dental implants if:
- Your gums and teeth are generally healthy.
- You have sufficient jaw bone density to support implants, or you can undergo a bone grafting procedure.
- You brush and floss your teeth every day and visit the dentist twice per year.
- You don’t smoke or have stopped smoking.
Contact Eberhardt Dentistry
To start restoring your smile, schedule a consultation with Eberhardt Dentistry in Akron, OH. Our dental team will recommend the best option and provide you with a comfortable and pleasant dental care experience. To make an appointment, give us a call at (330) 836-5585.